Job Description: Assistant Organist
Sacred Heart Church, a multicultural parish located in suburban Bloomfield, NJ, is accepting applications for a part-time assistant organist. An outline of the position follows below. Except where noted, the on-site responsibilities for this position are exclusively on Sunday mornings.
- Serve as the music coordinator at the 9:00 a.m. Mass on Sundays. It is expected that the musician will play both organ and piano as well as direct a small but growing youth choir. The service music, which features the very best of contemporary Catholic music, is selected by the Director of Music, but executed by the musician. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications and interests, the selection of music may be delegated to the musician. At this time, there is no choral music at this liturgy.
- Lead youth choir rehearsal every other week for 1 hour following the 9:00 a.m. Mass. On alternate weeks, share the responsibility for the organ voluntaries and occasionally accompany the choir at the 10:30 a.m. Mass.
- In the absence of the Director of Music (4-5 times per annum), serve as the organist at all weekend Masses (Sat 5:30, Sun 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, 12 noon).
- Assist as accompanist on major feast days, including Christmas Eve/Day, Pentecost, Corpus Christi, Feast of the Sacred Heart, and for the liturgies of Holy Week as well as Advent Lessons and Carols. If necessary, be present at midweek rehearsals in preparation for these liturgies.
- Serve as organist at a minimum of 20 midweek funerals per annum as scheduled with the Director of Music.
- Serve as organist at Wednesday evening benediction services during May and October.
- Present one organ concert per year as a part of the parish’s recital series.
- Experience working in a suburban, multicultural parish music program among talented volunteers, professional musicians, an exceptional staff, and congenial, supportive clergy.
- Experience performing music of Catholic liturgical heritage. From September – June, the choir at the 10:30 a.m. Mass sings a complete setting of the Ordinary, the Gregorian proper of the day and a motet. The musician will have ample opportunities to conduct the parish choir as well as the church’s resident professional choral ensemble, Sacred Heart Schola.
- Unlimited access to the church’s instruments: Schantz 2004 (II/31) and Baby Grand Piano (Remington 2006). The church’s acoustic, which features 5 seconds of natural reverberation, is one of the finest in northern New Jersey.
- With advance notice and the arrangement of suitable coverage, the musician will have ample time away to pursue professional engagements.
- Stipends will be issued semi-monthly on a per diem basis. The schedule of fees will be outlined with candidates at the interview, however the projected annual compensation is $16,000 (Jan – Dec) with the possibility of playing additional midweek funerals for an additional $2,000.
- Applicants are invited to submit a CV, cover letter, and the contact information for three professional references via email to Dr. Ryan Malone, Director of Music and Organist. No phone calls please.
- The successful candidate must undergo a satisfactory background check in accordance with the Archdiocese of Newark’s Protecting God’s Children Program.